Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
19th August 1980 Willy Russell's Educating Rita, premieres in London
19th August 1897 1st electric taxi's drive in London
19th August 1842 The last day before railings were put up on The Monument, also the last (of 6) suicides from the top.
19th August 1274 The Coronation of Edward I in Westminster Abbey.
JM Barrie and Peter Pan
This is where JM Barrie wrote Peter Pan in a studio at the rear.
Location: 100 Bayswater Road, London, W2 3HJ
Description: JM Barrie moved here (also called Leinster Corner) in 1902 overlooking Kensington Gardens, and it was here that he first met the sons of his close neighbours, Arthur and Sylvia Llewelyn Davies.
Barrie became friendly with the Davies boys, joining in their games, and enchanting them with magical tales. It was to George, Jack and Peter Llewelyn Davies that Barrie first told the story of a little boy called Peter Pan, who escaped from being a human when he was seven days old. . . and flew back to Kensington Gardens to live with the birds and fairies. This tale was published as The Little White Bird, and its success was such that Barrie decided to give Peter Pan another outing, this time in a play.
He now began to develop the idea that had implanted itself in his young mind all those years before in Kirriemuir. Peter Pan became the boy who wouldn't grow up, and his character was an amalgam of the Llewelyn Davies boys.
In 1927, explorer Robert Falcon Scott (of the Antarctic)'s wife Kathleen, remarried Edward Hilton Young, and moved here. Kathleen converted the coachhouse at the rear, where Barrie had written Peter Pan, into her studio.
Tagged in this Tour: Disney Fans tour