Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st March 1968 Hill, Hawkins and Coghill's musical premieres in London
21st March 1963 David Hendon and Douglas Cross' musical premieres in London
21st March 1958 Actor Gary Oldman was born in New Cross, London.
21st March 1925 Born today: Peter Brook, London, director (1776)/TV writer
21st March 1888 Arthur Pinero's Sweet Lavender, premieres in London
21st March 1853 Alfred Cops, zookeeper at the Tower of London, died at the Tower of London 18 years after his menagerie closed.
21st March 1681 3rd Exclusion Parliament meets in London
The 'Portable' Crosby Hall
The medieval building that moved brick by brick from the city.
Location: Crosby Hall, Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, SW3 5AZ
Description: This house originally stood in Bishopsgate, where it was the Great Hall of the 15th century Crosby Place.
Shakespeare was familiar with this former city mansion, and wrote it into 'Richard III' as the scene of Gloucester's plotting. The building was occupied by Richard while he was Duke of Gloucester. Later it was owned by Sir Thomas More.
The Hall was moved stone by stone from Bishopsgate to Chelsea in 1910 in order to rescue it from proposed demolition. It was then incorporated into the buildings of the British Federation of University Women and used as a dining hall. It is now a private residence.
A modern banking house stands on the original Bishopsgate site, and it bears a plaque to mark the hall's existence.