Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
New West End Synagogue
One of the most beautiful synaogues in Britain.
Location: St Petersburgh Place, Bayswater, London
Description: The New West End Synagogue in St Petersburgh Place, Bayswater is one of the oldest and beautiful synagogues in London and, indeed, in the country. The synagogue, which is a constituent of the United Synagogue (Orthodox), serves the Jewish communities of Bayswater, Notting Hill, Kensington, Hammersmith and West London. In recent years it has enjoyed a major communal renaissance under the leadership of Rabbi Geoffrey Shisler and his wife Anne.
The Foundation Stone of the New West End Synagogue was laid on June 7th. 1877 by Mr. Leopold de Rothschild in the presence of the Chief Rabbi, Dr. Nathan Marcus Adler, and the building was formally opened on March 30th. 1879.
The beauty of the Synagogue is enhanced by the magnificent stained glass windows, which were designed and made by N H J Westlake, one of the foremost authorities in England on stained glass windows and mosaics.
The Synagogue's treasures include some twenty Sifrei Torah, as well as superb examples of embroidery and silver, some dating back to the early eighteenth century; some of the Torah bells and breastplates which are not in regular use are on loan for display at the Jewish Museum.