Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
27th March 1962 Ann Jellicoe's Knack, premieres in London
27th March 1935 Born today: Julian Glover, London England, actor (QED, Heat and Dust, Mandela)
27th March 1857 Born today: Karl Pearson, London England, mathematician
Ford plant in Dagenham
The home of Ford and British car making for 70 years.
Location: Kent Avenue, Dagenham, Essex
Description: The Ford plant at Dagenham was one of the UK's largest car factories employing nearly 8,000 of the automobile company's 30,000 British workers. The car assembly line alone was manned by more than 4,500 people.
The complex here, opened in 1931, on a 300-acre site on marshland just north of the Thames in east London. Ford bought it in 1924 for 167,695.
Dagenham was at the spearhead of Ford's attempts to corner the British car market.
The first vehicle it produced was a Model A 30cwt truck which rolled off the production line on 1 October 1931.
The factory also made the Model Y, the first four-seat saloon to sell for 100. After the war, Dagenham switched production from Bren Gun Carriers to V8 Pilots.
Ford Populars, Cortinas, Capris and Sierras have been among the more than 10 million cars made there.
Three million Cortinas were built at Dagenham between 1962-1981. But the Fiesta has been the only model built there since 1990.
A month-long dispute closed the factory in 1969 and cost Ford 40m.
The plant closed in 2000.