Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
19th June 1975 Missing Lord Lucan murdered the 29-year-old nanny of his three young children, an inquest jury in Westminster decided.
19th June 1973 Rocky Horror Picture Show, stage production opens in London
19th June 1966 RW Hardy photographs staircase at Queen's House, Greenwich, later finds ghostly figures on pics.
19th June 1964 Mayor of London Boris Johnson born in New York City.
19th June 1942 Born today: Neil Chalmers, director (National History Museum, London)
19th June 1925 Comedian Charlie Drake was born in Elephant and Castle, London.
19th June 1921 Born today: Allan Davis, Mayor of London
19th June 1890 Born today: Barbara Everest, London England, actress (Fatal Witness, Inquest)
19th June 1829 Sir Robert Peel founded the London Metropolitan Police (Bobbies).
The Congregation of Jacob
The UK's first Mizrachi Synagogue
Location: 351-353 Commercial Road, E1 2PS
Description: Founded by Morris Koenigsberg and Abraham Schwalbe in 1903, this was the UK's first Mizrachi Synagogue and remarkably 'The Congregation of Jacob' is one of three East End synagogues still attending its congregation.
Before occupying the present premises in 1921 the first generation of immigrant Polish, Lithuanian and Russian Orthodox Jews from small shtetls such as Stetziver, Kalisz and Vikaviskis, likely met in Mr Koenigsburg's family home near here on Commercial Road.
Previously the building was a cobblers, transformed in the 1920s by Lewis Solomon & Son, honorary architects to the Federation of Synagogues, to feature high sweeping balconies and side benches gathered around a central space for worship. The building features a striking black Star of David atop the apex of the roof.
While the synagogue is affiliated to three burial societies, Federation, Adath and Chesed Ve'emeth, it takes pride in its independence, being as it is owned and managed by members of the community.
A 2002 English Heritage Report stated that Kehillas Ya'akov is a remarkable survival... and is all the more exceptional for continuing in use as a synagogue.
The members are currently engaged in a regeneration project, which involves not only the restoration of their building to its original beauty, but also a welcoming spirit inviting all who come to take part in their community.