Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st March 1968 Hill, Hawkins and Coghill's musical premieres in London
21st March 1963 David Hendon and Douglas Cross' musical premieres in London
21st March 1958 Actor Gary Oldman was born in New Cross, London.
21st March 1925 Born today: Peter Brook, London, director (1776)/TV writer
21st March 1888 Arthur Pinero's Sweet Lavender, premieres in London
21st March 1853 Alfred Cops, zookeeper at the Tower of London, died at the Tower of London 18 years after his menagerie closed.
21st March 1681 3rd Exclusion Parliament meets in London
1st Motorcycle Engine made here
The site of the invention of the first ever motorcycle engine.
Location: 1a Lansdowne Road, Tottenham
Description: This is where John Alfred Prestwich (1874-1952) inventor and designer of engines, ran his J.A.P. engineering company here. He designed his first motorcycle engine in 1901, made the first overhead-valve V-twin in 1906 and patented a desmodromic valve in 1923.
The engines were used in many famous motorcycle marques and speedway bikes, early aeroplanes, chainsaws, cultivators and light rail maintenance trucks.
Prestwich was also well known for his creation of cinematography, working with S.Z.Ferranti and the cinema pioneer William Friese-Greene to produce cameras, mutoscopes, cutting and perforation machines and projectors.
A green plaque was erected here by Haringey Council on 19th March 2010.