Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
7th December 1980 Chelsea footballer John Terry was born in Barking.
7th December 1889 Gilbert and Sullivans Gondoliers, premieres in London
7th December 1811 The first Ratcliff Murders occur; of Tim & Celia & Tim Jr Marr at 29 Ratcliff Highway.
7th December 1783 The Theatre Royal first opened in Covent Garden.
Wood Green Empire
The Wood Green Empire, where magician Chung Ling Soo was shot.
Location: High Road, Wood Green, London, N22 6HH
Description: Built in 1912 on the High Road, the Wood Green Empire was one of the last designs of the noted architect.
Billy Robinson from New York was a leading Victorian medium and later adopted a magicians stage name of Chung Ling Soo becoming famous around the world for his bullet catching trick.
Chung Ling Soo, The World's Greatest Magician, in a Performance of Oriental Splendor and Weird Mysticism, assisted by Miss Suee Seen, presenting in rapid succession the most Beautiful, Baffling and Interesting Series of Illusions ever submitted to the Public.
On March 23, 1918, while on stage here Soo did not catch the bullets. As the shots rang out, the conjurer collapsed to the floor and began to bleed profusely from a bullet wound in his chest. The next day, Soo was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
ATV used the Wood Green Empire through to the early 1960ís. After that the theatre stood dark for a couple of years before the stage and most of the auditorium were demolished to make way for a multi-storey car park. The facade is just about recognizable today, in the centre of a parade of shops. It is currently a branch of the Halifax but the original arrangement of foyer door and an entrance either side can still be made out - as can the typical Frank Matcham grand roofline with two small ornamental domes.
Tagged in this Tour: London
Tagged in this Tour: Historic Magic Circle Tour