Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
17th July 1968 Beatle's animated film Yellow Submarine premieres in London
17th July 1965 Born today: Alex Winter, London England, actor (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)
17th July 1958 Peter Shaffer's Five Finger Exercise, premieres in London
17th July 1949 Born today: Mick Tucker, London, rock drummer (Sweet Harlesden)
17th July 1947 Born today: Camilla Parker-Bowles, London England, Prince Charles' wife.
17th July 1909 Born today: Hardy Amies, London England, royal dressmaker (Queen Elizabeth II)
17th July 1894 Born today: Mary Clare, London England, actress (Evil Mind, Young and Innocent)
17th July 1717 George Frideric Handel's The Water Music premiered when King George I requested a concert on a barge on the River Thames.
The Winchester Geese
A graveyard for 'single women' from the 16th Century
Location: Redcross Way, SE1
Description: 'Cross Bones' is a post-medieval disused burial ground in The Borough, Southwark, south London, in what is now known as Redcross Way.
It is believed to have been established originally as an unconsecrated graveyard for 'single women', a euphemism for prostitutes, known locally as 'Winchester Geese', because they were licensed by the Bishop of Winchester to work within the Liberty of the Clink.
The liberty lay outside the jurisdiction of the City of London, and as a consequence it became known for its brothels and theatres, as well as bull and bear baiting, activities not permitted within the City itself.
The age of the graveyard is unknown. John Stow (1525-1605) wrote of it in A Survey of London in 1598 calling it the 'Single Woman's churchyard'. By 1769, it had become a pauper's cemetery servicing the poor of St. Saviour's parish. Up to 15,000 people are believed to have been buried there.
Tagged in this Tour: Curios
Tagged in this Tour: The Weird and Wonderful