Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
22nd September 1924 Illustrator and author Charles Keeping was born in Lambeth.
22nd September 1891 Footballer and writer Charlie Buchan was born in Plumstead.
22nd September 1870 5-time British Wimbledon tennis champion Charlotte Cooper was born in Ealing.
22nd September 1788 Author, practical joker and inventor of the postcard, Theodore Hook, was born in London.
22nd September 1761 The Coronation of George III in Westminster Abbey.
22nd September 1735 Robert Walpole the first British Prime Minister to live at 10 Downing Street.
22nd September 1694 Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, creator of Gregorian calendar, was born in London.
Top Subterranean-related places to visit in London.
London is riddled with tunnels like a fallen oak is with woodworm, most are related to the underground shuttle service but there are many more in the layers of history...
TOP 10 SUBTERRANEAN RELATED SIGHTS IN LONDON:
MORE SUBTERRANEAN SIGHTS:
11. Islington Tunnel @ Islington to Camden
12. Wapping Pier Head @ Off Wapping High Street
13. Secret Tunnels - 100 feet down @ Craig Court, off Trafalgar Square
14. Hackney's Mole Man @ Mortimer Road, Hackney, London
15. Wapping Old Stairs @ Nr Wapping high Street
16. The Coade Stone Lion @ Westminster Bridge, Near County Hall
17. The River Effra - found! @ Vauxhall Bridge, London
18. The London Apprentice @ 62 Church Street, Isleworth, Middlesex
19. Soho Square Gardener's Hut @ Soho Square Gardens, Soho
20. Mouth of the River Walbrook @ Walbrook Wharf, Southwark Bridge Road, Dowgate
21. Clapham North's Bomb Bunker @ Clapham North, London
22. The Mason's Arms @ 51 Upper Berkeley Street, London
23. Houses Collapsed into Hole @ Ridley Road, Bromley
24. The Crystal Palace Subway @ Crystal Palace Parade, Crystal Palace
25. Shadwell Basin @ Off Glamis Road
26. Churchill's Paddock @ Brook Road, Neasden, London
27. Morpeth Arms @ 58 Millbank
28. The Borderline... @ Orange Yard, off Manette Street
29. A bit of Belfast in London @ Morgan's Lane, Tooley Street
30. What no Vicar? @ Bishop's Avenue, Hammersmith and Fulham
31. London's Public Stalactites @ Tottenham Court Road Underpass, London
32. Thames Ironworks @ Bow Creek, Canning Town
33. Kingsway Tunnels - 110 feet down @ Chancery Lane & Kingsway...
34. A Duck's Best Friend @ 12/13, New Wharf Road
35. TV on the South Bank @ London Television Centre, Upper Ground
36. Superhoops in the Bush @ Loftus Road, South Africa Road, Shepherds Bush
37. Underground Art and Crime Free @ Leake Street, Lower Marsh
38. St Katherine's Dock Marina @ Off Smithfield
39. The London Eye @ Thames Path, Southbank
40. London's Longest Pier @ Erith High Street
41. Maritime Anchors @ Park Row, Greenwich
42. Nell of Old Drury @ 29 Catherine Street
43. Chislehurst Caves @ The Chalk Pit, Old Hill, Chislehurst
44. Step on and Rise on up @ York Road
45. The Boat Race @ Chiswick Bridge
46. Greenwich Foot Tunnel @ Cutty Sark Gardens, Greenwich, London