IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
9th April 1978 S Club 7 singer Rachel Stevens was born in Southgate,
9th April 1914 World, Flesh and the Devil, the 1st colour film, shown in London.
9th April 1906 Labour Leader Hugh Gaitskell was born in Kensington.
9th April 1838 The National Gallery opens in its new home off Trafalgar Square.
9th April 1413 The Coronation of Henry V in Westminster Abbey.
9th April 1269 Edmund of Crouchback, son of King Henry III was married to Lady Aveline de Forz in Westminster Abbey.
Top Justice-related places to visit in London.
What goes around comes around, but it's never quite that clear cut is it? Is the justice dispensed correctly? A few hundred years ago you had to be good, or you might have ended up with your head on the entrance to the city of London...
TOP 10 JUSTICE RELATED SIGHTS IN LONDON:
10. The Sketch Club
MORE JUSTICE SIGHTS:
11. The London Cage, WW2 torture @ 7 Kensington Palace Gardens
12. The Percy Thompson murder @ Belgrave Road, Ilford, London
13. The Viaduct Tavern @ 126 Newgate Street, London
14. Acid Murderer worked here @ 79 Gloucester Road, Kensington, London
15. The Clink @ Clink Street, London
16. Tate Britain, Sugar & Prison! @ Millbank, London
17. Death of Jean Charles de Menezes @ Stockwell Station, Stockwell
18. Wandsworth Prison @ Heathfield Road
19. Bridewell Prison @ Fleet Street
20. Watching for Bodysnatchers @ St Marys Church, Wanstead
21. Mount Pleasant - or is it? @ Coldbath Square, Islington, London
22. The Siege of Sidney Street @ 100 Sidney Street, Stepney, London
23. The Mason's Arms @ 51 Upper Berkeley Street, London
24. The Houndsditch Murders @ 119 Houndsditch, London
25. Resistance heroine lived here @ 18 Burnley Road, Stockwell, London
26. The London Dungeons @ 28-34 Tooley Street, London
27. Mystery of Scotland Yard @ Scotland Yard, Westminster
28. Dick Turpin's Final Pub @ 762 High Road, Leytonstone, London
29. Home of the Tichborne Claimant @ 14 Harley Gardens, Chelsea
30. Pirates Execution Dock @ Off Wapping High Street, Wapping, London
31. The Vestry and its Cage @ Vestry Road, Walthamstow, London
32. The Islington Gibbett @ Holloway Road, Islington
33. Cheeky chauffeur lived here @ 16 Drayson Mews, Kensington, London
34. John Christies House of Horror @ Near Barton Mews, Ladbroke Grove, London
35. Barry George's Flat @ 2b Crookham Road, Fulham, London
36. Holloway Prison @ Parkhurst Road, Islington
37. Ghost of the Hanging Judge @ Town of Ramsgate Pub, Wapping
38. Bow Street Magistrates Court @ Bow Street, Covent Garden, London
39. The Traitor's Gate @ Tower of London, London
40. Houndsditch Murder Scene @ 59 Golding Street, Tower Hamlets, London
41. Botched Anti-Terror Police Raid @ 46 Lansdown Road, Forest Gate, London
42. Julie's Restaurant @ 135 Portland Road, Holland Park, London
43. First Murder solved by Identikit @ 23 Cecil Court, Covent Garden, London
44. Temple Bar Death Clock @ Fleet Street
45. Temple Bar: A Traitor's Gate @ Temple Bar, Fleet Street, London
46. Middle Temple Hall @ Middle Temple Lane, London
47. Pistols at Dawn @ Primrose Hill, London
48. Oliver Tambo's ANC House @ 51 Alexandra Park Road, Clerkenwell
49. Sleep in a Courthouse @ Courthouse Hotel, 19-21 Great Marlborough Street
50. Brixton Prison Treadwheel @ Jebb Avenue, Streatham Hill
51. The Royal Courts of Justice @ The Strand
52. City of Westminster Court @ 70 Horseferry Road, Westminster
53. The Floral Street Pillory @ Floral Street, London
54. Stone Newington 8 @ 359 Amhurst Road, Stoke Newington